Charlo-Harrison walkout bouts

By David Robinett and Rocky Morales at ringside

In the final walkout bout of the evening and the fifteenth bout of the ultra marathon-length card, Jose Balderas (9-0, 3KO) stopped the hapless Nestor Ramos (7-11-1, 3KO) in a scheduled six round bantamweight bout. Technically, Balderas didn’t really stop Ramos but Ramos rather decided not to come out for the fourth round despite not taking any noticeable punishment. Ramos, not wanting to spoil his eight fight losing streak coming into the fight, put up little resistance and upped his losing streak to nine in a row and hopes to make it double digits next time out. Jose helps the Balderas brothers go 1-1 for the night after Karlos’ upset knockout loss earlier in the evening. Time of the stoppage was 3:00 of the third round.

In the fourteenth bout of the evening, in front of a few dozen remaining fans, Yovani Rodarte (11-2-1, 2 KOs) earned a narrow majority decision over Eduardo Reyes (9-17, 6 KOs), by scores of 57-57, 58-56, 58-56 in a six round lightweight bout. Rodarte, whose deceptive won-loss record was built primarily on beating winless opponents, didn’t really distinguish himself in this fight, as it appeared Reyes was the more accurate, effective puncher, particularly to the body, but after nearly eight hours of ring action the judges might be excused for missing a close round or two.

Jerry Perez (12-0, 9KO), demolished journeyman Tyrone Luckey (9-12-4, 7KO), stopping him at 0:50 of the second round of a scheduled six round super featherweight bout. Perez sent Luckey to the corner with a looping right cross and then landed a devastating uppercut, hook, uppercut combo for a hard knockdown. Luckey got up but was in no condition to continue leading the referee to wave off the bout to make Perez the knockout winner.

In the first of four walkout bouts following the evening’s main event, one-time super middleweight prospect Anthony Flagg (5-0, 4 KOs) was knocked down and on the verge of losing an embarrassing decision to unheralded novice Jamarcus Warren (2-2-1, 1 KO), when Warren suddenly quit, for no readily apparent reason, at 1:16 of round three in a scheduled four-rounder. Warren came out like a dervish on the opening bell, swarming Flagg, albeit ineffectively, and probably won the round on activity alone. In round two, Warren continued to draw the boxer Flagg into uncomfortable exchanges and dropped Flagg hard with a left hook along the ropes. Oddly, after Flagg rose on unsteady legs, Warren suddenly slowed his pace and did not seem especially interested in closing the show. In the next round, the fighters were going at a reasonable pace when all of sudden Warren turned his back on Flagg and confirmed to the referee he did not wish to continue. All the more bizarre since it appeared Warren was on his way to a life-defining win, insofar as Flagg may still have had some reputation left as a distinguished amateur.

Plania beats Gutierrez in Miami
Narvaez fails to get 50th win

Top Boxing News

We have a few rules to make our comment section more enjoyable for everyone.
1. Keep comments related to boxing.
2. Be respectful, polite and keep it clean.
3. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Offending posts will be removed.