WBC diamond belt added to WBSS

The World Boxing Council (WBC) will honour the World Boxing Super Series by awarding its prestigious WBC Diamond Belt for both the Cruiserweight as well as the Super-Middleweight tournament. As of today, the inaugural season of the revolutionary bracket-style elimination tournament already features five world champions and three former champions as well as three rising contenders, which has led to an outcry of media and fan approval despite a lack of Americans so far. Continue reading “WBC diamond belt added to WBSS”



Horn talks about win over Pacquiao

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

WBO welterweight champion Jeff Horn talks to Allan Jones on Radio 2GB about his victory over Manny Pacquiao at Suncorp Stadium Brisbane with over 51,000 fight fans in attendance. Horn’s wife said he showed no sign of nerves and was snoring the night before the fight. Horn mentions how he was bullied in school but met Glen Rushton who changed his life training him as a boxer who would go on to represent Australia at the 2012 London Olympics and now dethroning future Hall of Fame legend Manny Pacquiao.



Hammer: Shields still young, has a lot to learn

WBC Female middleweight world champion Christina Hammer is currently training at high-altitude “Athletic Camp Austria” in Seefeld (Austria) to prepare for her upcoming title defense. The date and place of Hammer’s next fight haven’t been confirmed yet but according to manager Harald Pia details will be announced shortly. “We are about to close the deal and hope that we can announce the fight by the weekend,” states Pia.

Photo: Team Hammer

Hammer’s long time goal is to conquer the US with a fight against two-time Olympic gold medalist Claressa Shields. But before taking on Hammer, Shields will challenge Nikki Adler for the WBC female world super middleweight championship on August 4th in Detroit. “I will be ringside for that fight to take a close look at Claressa,” says Hammer. Continue reading “Hammer: Shields still young, has a lot to learn”





Valentin, Santillan face off at final presser

Photos: All Star Boxing

NABO welterweight champion “Hurricane” Sammy Valentin (12-0, 9 KOs) and challenger Giovanni “Gallo de Oro” Santillan (21-0, 11 KOs) went face to face at today’s press conference at the Children’s Cancer Center in anticipation of their clash of this Friday at the A La Carte Pavilion in Tampa, Florida.

Valentin, 22, a Tampa Bay fighter of Puerto Rican heritage, is ranked #9 by the WBO. Santillan, 25, hails from San Diego with Mexican roots. This battle between undefeated prospects is scheduled for 10 rounds with Valentin’s title at stake. Continue reading “Valentin, Santillan face off at final presser”



Arum defends Pac-Horn officials

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum defended referee Mark Nelson and judges Waleska Roldan, Chris Flores, Ramon Cerdan after fallout from the Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn WBO welterweight championship title bout. “You had 40,000 Australian fans and 15,000 Filipino fans in the stadium,” said Arum. “When Horn landed a punch, the Australian fans were all screaming. When Manny landed, there was virtual silence. If you were a judge, of course, you’d be influenced. You’re only human. But if you think they were dishonest, I wouldn’t agree.” As for the performance of referee Mark Nelson, Arum stated “Both guys were doing things. There was a lot of holding by Manny and Jeff.”



WBA orders Rigondeaux-Flores rematch

The Championships Committee of the World Boxing Association (WBA) has ordered a rematch between WBA super bantamweight “super” champion Guillermo Rigondeaux and interim champ Moisés Flores. The parties have 30 days to reach an agreement and avoid a purse bid with a 75/25 split for Rigondeaux.

Rigondeaux and Flores fought June 17 in a controversial bout ended by knockout in the first round in favor of Rigondeaux, but the result was changed to “no contest” by the Nevada State Athletic Commission because the KO blow landed after the bell. After an analysis of the fight, the WBA Championships Committee agreed with the view of the NSAC. Continue reading “WBA orders Rigondeaux-Flores rematch”







Extension granted for N’Dam-Murata purse bid

The Championships Committee of the World Boxing Association (WBA) granted an extension of 15 days the auction of confrontation between WBA middleweight regular champion Hassan N’Dam and Ryota Murata at the request of the interested parties. The bid was initially agreed to on July 7 and will be rescheduled if both parties do not reach an agreement.

The rematch between N’Dam and Murata was ordered by the WBA on May 20 because the Championships Committee considered it a controversial result and not attached to what was seen in the ring. This decision is in favor of both sides to achieve the desired agreement and that is beneficial to both fighters.



WBA sets Santa Cruz-Mares deadline

The WBA Championships Committee informed both working teams of the Mexicans Leo Santa Cruz, WBA Featherweight super champion and Abner Mares, regular champion, that they had till July 11, 2017 to reach an agreement for their mandatory fight, otherwise the WBA will open the fight to purse bid on July 21, 2017.

The Mexican fighters already boxed in 2015 and the fight was considered the best fights of the year. The fight was scored a majority division for Santa Cruz who became the WBA Super Champion. Continue reading “WBA sets Santa Cruz-Mares deadline”



Robert Guerrero speaks

Photos: Andy Samuelson/Premier Boxing Champions

Former world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero is hard at work preparing for his main event showdown with unbeaten Omar Figueroa that headlines Premier Boxing Champions on FOX and FOX Deportes Saturday, July 15 in the first boxing event at the newly renovated NYCB LIVE, home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Televised coverage begins at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT and features a matchup of unbeaten light heavyweights Marcus Browne and Seanie Monaghan plus an all-Polish heavyweight showdown between Artur Szpilka and Adam Kownacki.

Here is what Guerrero had to say

“I feel great going into this fight. Me and my dad have been working really hard on all aspects of my game. I hired a new CrossFit coach, Greg Amundson, and he’s gotten me in great shape. Everyone will see an improvement in my all-around game. With my back against the wall going into this fight, I did everything possible in camp to be ready for Figueroa. Continue reading “Robert Guerrero speaks”





Vargas-Funeka clash August 19

North American Boxing Association welterweight champion Samuel Vargas has been on boxing’s biggest stage and he’s determined to prove that he still belongs there. The 28-year-old Vargas (27-3-1, 14 KOs) steps up in one of the most significant fights of his career, August 19, as he defends his NABA title against three-time world title challenger Ali “Rush Hour” Funeka (39-6-3, 31 KOs) in the main event of Lee Baxter Promotions’ (LBP) second event at the Brampton Powerade Centre, “Face Off”, in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.



Smith Jr. aiming for another high profile win

“It’s true the division is truly heating up and I’m honored to be a part of it,” said 27-year-old light heavyweight contender Joe Smith Jr. (23-1-0, 19 KOs), who faces Sullivan Barrera (19-1-0, 14 KOs) July 15 on HBO at The Fabulous Forum in Los Angeles. “The winner of my upcoming fight moves right into the top of the mix in the division. With my last two knockouts (Bernard Hopkins and Andrzej Fonfara) I have the full confidence that the sky is the limit for me in this division, I want to achieve my dream of becoming a world champion.”

Photo: Star Boxing

Smith still works full-time as a union laborer in the New York City area. He only takes a short break from wielding the sledgehammer when he finalizes training for his fights. Continue reading “Smith Jr. aiming for another high profile win”



Pacquiao, GAB ask WBO to review fight

The Philippines’ Games and Amusements Board has asked the World Boxing Association (WBO) for a thorough review of the Manny Pacquiao-Jeff Horn welterweight world title fight that took place over the weekend in Brisbane, Australia. The GAB wants the WBO take a look at “possible errors” by the referee and judges that led to Pacman’s unanimous decision loss.

Pacquiao supported the request by releasing a statement saying “I love boxing and I don’t wanna see it dying because of unfair decisions and officiating.”



Santillan looks to shine on Telemundo Friday

Unbeaten welterweight contender Giovanni “Gallo de Oro” Santillan (21-0, 11 KOs) will challenge NABO Champion and local favorite “Hurricane” Sammy Valentin (12-0, 9 KOs) this Friday at the A La Carte Pavillion in Tampa, Florida.

Photo: Carlos Baeza/Thompson Boxing

The main event bout will be the season opener of “Boxeo Telemundo Ford” Summer edition. Santillan will be in tough vs the unbeaten Valentin in his backyard but he is confident none the less of victory. Continue reading “Santillan looks to shine on Telemundo Friday”



It’s official, Kudryashov in WBSS

The World Boxing Super Series has officially confirmed that cruiserweight contender Dmitry Kudryashov has joined a star-studded tournament line-up that features the four reigning world champions Oleksandr Usyk (WBO), Mairis Briedis (WBC), Murat Gassiev (IBF) and Yunier Dorticos (WBO) as well as former champions Marco Huck and Krzysztof Wlodarczyk. The Russian Hammer (21-1, 21 KOs) enters the Muhammad Ali Trophy with a fearsome KO ratio of 94 %, with all of his 21 victories coming by the way of knockout. One more spot remains open.

All participants will come face-to-face during the Draft Gala in Monaco on Saturday. The top four seeds will hand-pick their opponents from the unseeded boxers. Once the quarter-final match-ups have been set, the dates and venues will be announced. Continue reading “It’s official, Kudryashov in WBSS”



Fortune: Horn fought better than we ever thought he would

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Manny Pacquiao’s Australian strength and fitness trainer Justin Fortune, who once battled Lennox Lewis, said after Jeff Horn had scored twelve round unanimous points victory over the future Hall of Famer that they underestimated the former Brisbane school teacher. “He fought better than we ever thought he would,” Fortune said. “Jeff fought 100 times better than he’ll ever fight again. The kid’s got a lot of heart, a lot of balls. We’ll see where he goes from there. We knew he would fight nothing like we ever saw him on video, because 50,000 people, it’s your home, you’ll fight.”

Meanwhile, Pacquiao said he accepted the judges’ decision and didn’t take Horn as seriously as he should have. “I didn’t expect (he would be) that tough,” said Pacman, who insists he will invoke a rematch clause to get Horn back in the ring in November.



Weights from Panama

By Héctor Villarreal

Pakistani flyweight based in Korea, Muhammad Waseem (5-0-0, 3 KOs) ranked #1 by WBC, weighed in at 120.5 pounds for his 6 rounds tune-up fight against local journeyman Eliecer Valdes (3-8-2, 2 KOs) who came in at 121.

Waseem is preparing in Panama with trainer Jeff Mayweather for a probable WBC title fight later this year and will face Valdes on the undercard of the “Puro Poder” boxing event which is headlined by the return of former world champion Roberto “La Araña” Vasquez (33-6-2, 23 KOs) vs Colombian Mauricio Martinez (13-11-2, 4 KOs).

Another Panamanian ex-world titlist, Luis “El Nica” Concepción (35-5, 24 KOs) faces Luis De La Rosa (25-8-1, 15 KOs) from Colombia over 8 rounds. Continue reading “Weights from Panama”



Lonergan: My gut feeling is that Manny wants a rematch with Horn

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

Dean Lonergan, who was co-promoter of the Jeff Horn vs. Manny Pacquiao clash, talks to Alan Jones on 2GB and explains how he first asked Bob Arum to have a look at the young Aussie welterweight (Horn) several months ago. They also discuss the rematch clause in the Horn-Pacquiao contract and Lonergan’s gut feeling that Pacquiao will want that rematch in November back in Brisbane, Australia.



Mikey Garcia gets belted by WBC

By Boxing Bob Newman

WBC lightweight champ Mikey Garcia was officially presented with his gold and green belt by WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman and former NABF president Duane Ford at the closing of the 49th NABF convention in San Diego on Sunday.



Santillan Arrives in Tampa for Friday’s Showdown

Unbeaten welterweight contender Giovanni “Gallo de Oro” Santillan arrived in Tampa, Florida for his upcoming challenge this Friday against NABO Champion “Hurricane” Sammy Valentin at the A La Carte Pavillion.

Santillan and Valentin will see each other for the first time at the press conference, Wednesday at the local Children’s Cancer Center, 4901 W Cypress St., at 2 PM where WBO President Francisco “Paco” Valcarcel will make a donation to the center during the ceremony. Santillan accompanied by his father/manager Memo and brother/trainer Gerson Santillan arrived confident and said: “I’m ready and I will win by KO.” Continue reading “Santillan Arrives in Tampa for Friday’s Showdown”



Villalobos battles Morales Saturday in Bellingham, Washington

By Ricardo Ibarra

Heavy-handed Pacific Northwest banger Steven “Hands of Gold” Villalobos (4-0, 4 KOs) will look to add a fifth consecutive win on Saturday night at the Mount Baker Theater in Bellingham, Washington, facing off with Idaho’s Vince Morales in a four round Jr. middleweight fight. The bout will be one of four boxing contests featured on Avelar/Galeas Promotions’ inaugural ‘Fight Night Championship,’ which will have both boxing and MMA on the card. Continue reading “Villalobos battles Morales Saturday in Bellingham, Washington”



New venue for Fuentes-Lara

Saturday’s flyweight clash in Mexico City featuring former world champion Moses “Moi” Fuentes (24-3-1, 13 KOs) against Ulysses “Mouse” Lara (17-15-2, 10 KOs) has been moved to a new venue. The bout will now take place at the Domo del Sindicato de Trabajadores del IMSS rather than the Gimnasio Cuauhtémoc del Plan Sexenal. According to promoter Zanfer, the new venue is “more practical and comfortable for boxing fans.”

Fuentes is rebounding from a TKO loss to Kosei Tanaka in a clash for the WBO light fly belt last December.



DiCarlo confident WBA #8 Flanagan can defeat Lebedev

By Ray Wheatley – World of Boxing

WBA #8 Mark “Bam Bam” Flanagan (22-4, 15 KOs) will challenge WBA cruiserweight champion Denis Lebedev (29-3, 22 KOs) at the DIVS in Ekaterinburg, Russia on Sunday. Flanagan’s manager Angelo DiCarlo is confident his charge will cause a major upset over the heavily favored Russian.

DiCarlo who guides Flanagan’s career talked to Paul Nasari on radio 2BACR, 100.9fm. “Mark is a genuine world class puncher,” said DiCarlo. “He hasn’t been beaten as a cruiserweight. Continue reading “DiCarlo confident WBA #8 Flanagan can defeat Lebedev”



Four WBA title fights in July

The World Boxing Association (WBA) has had an excellent year in terms of fights full of action and excitement, and it goes on as the WBA has sanctioned four title bouts to take place in July.

The first title fight will take place on Sunday, July 9, when the super champion Dennis Lebedev (29-2, 22 KOs) from Russia will defend his cruiserweight belt against Australian Mark Flanagan (22-4, 15 KOs) in Ekaterinburg, Russia.

On Saturday, July 15, there will be two WBA titles on the line, a super championship and a regular title. The first will take place in California, when the Panamanian super champion Jezreel Corrales (21-1, 8 KOs) will defend his belt for the first time against the dangerous Mexican Robinson Castellanos (24-12, 14 KOs). The latter will take place in Chonburi, Thailand, when the undefeated Thammanoon Niyomtrong (15-0, 7KO), better known as Knockout Freshmart, will defend his belt against the Filipino Rey Loreto (23-13, 15 KOs).

July’s action will end in Japan where Nippon Ryoichi Taguchi (25-2-2, 11 KOs) will fight Colombian Robert Barrera (18-1, 12 KOs). This will be the Japanese fighter’s sixth defense of the light flyweight championship he won in December 2014.



The 12th Round: North American Boxing Federation

By Mauricio Sulaiman
WBC President – Jose Sulaiman’s son

The NABF celebrated its 49th annual convention in San Diego, California, with the presence of members from most of the states in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

The NABF was founded in 1968 with the goal to serve as a Continental Federation affiliated with the World Boxing Council. It was formed by the affiliation of individuals representing their states in the three countries mentioned above. These individuals were boxing commissioners – most, if not all, were the chairmen of their state boxing commission. It was through the NABF that the administration of boxing and implementation of rules to make boxing safer was a great success.

The Muhammad Ali Act came to the USA and became a law, and it includes a clause prohibiting boxing commissioners from being members of a governing body. This measure has hurt the sport in a tremendous way, as there is limited or no reciprocity agreements between the boxing jurisdictions, and it is basically impossible to implement new rules in the USA, which is the greatest country in boxing in the world. Continue reading “The 12th Round: North American Boxing Federation”