Murata To Defend WBA 160lb Belt Against Italian Blandamura

By Joe Koizumi
Photos by Naoki Fukuda

Newly crowned WBA middleweight champ Ryota Murata (13-1, 10 KOs), also 2012 Olympic gold medalist in London, will make his initial defense against Italian Emanuele Felice Blandamura (27-2, 5 KOs), former European titlist, in Yokohama, Japan, on April 15.

It was announced with both contestants in attendance today (Monday) in Tokyo by Teiken Promotions. Murata dethroned Frenchman Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam via a fine stoppage at the end of the seventh round in their grudge fight here last October. Blandamura, six years his senior at 38, was previously halted by Billy Joe Saunders with the European belt at stake in 2014, but recently acquired the vacant EBU 160-pound belt by a split duke over Matteo Signani in 2016 and kept it once against Alessandro Goddi in Italy last June. Murata said, “I’ll devote all myself to the first defense to concentrate on this fight.” Blandamura jubilantly said, “Today is the happiest day of my life. I’m happy to fight Murata for the world championship.” We may witness a full-house crowd at the Yokohama Arena. Photos

By Joe Koizumi Photos by Naoki Fukuda Newly crowned WBA middleweight champ Ryota Murata (13-1, 10 KOs), also 2012 Olympic gold medalist in London, will make his initial defense against…
Read More »


WBA resolves Charr-Oquendo purse bid dispute

The WBA Championship Committee has ruled on a request by WBA heavyweight champion Manuel Charr to reconsider a WBA resolution calling for a 50/50 purse bid split if a purse bid is required for his mandated defense against Fres Oquendo. Charr claims he was not given timely notice of the conditions in the WBA resolution approving his November 25 bout with Alexander Ustinov. He also requested that the minimum purse bid requirement for the Oquendo bout be altered.

Charr’s request for reconsideration was partially granted due to the timing of the notices regarding the resolution conditions and based on both parties’ request that the purse bid minimum be removed for a Charr-Oquendo bout. Therefore, the minimum purse bid amount for the bout is removed, but the 50/50 split remains. Continue reading “WBA resolves Charr-Oquendo purse bid dispute”

The WBA Championship Committee has ruled on a request by WBA heavyweight champion Manuel Charr to reconsider a WBA resolution calling for a 50/50 purse bid split if a purse…
Read More »


Kiram and Gesta ready for WBA title challenges

By Miguel Maravilla

Undefeated welterweight Tewa Kiram (38-0, 28 KOs) of Thailand and lightweight contender Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta (31-1-2, 17 KOs) of San Diego held a media workout Thursday afternoon at the Westside Boxing Club in West LA ahead of their championship bouts taking place next Saturday January 27 at the Forum in Inglewood, California. Kiram and Gesta will fight in separate WBA world title bouts live on HBO Boxing After Dark.

Kiram will take on former interim WBC super lightweight champion Lucas “La Máquina” Matthysse (38-4, 35 KOs) in a 12-round fight for the vacant WBA welterweight title. Here is what Kiram had to say prior to his workout.

“Matthysse fights aggressively. I know he will come to fight,” said Kiram. “I have been waiting 8 years to fight for a world title. It’s an honor to be fighting at the Forum the same place where Saman Sorjaturong beat Chiquita Gonzalez. I am really proud of my countryman Rungvisai and I look forward to making my statement. I look forward to bringing back the title to Thailand after I beat Matthysse.” Continue reading “Kiram and Gesta ready for WBA title challenges”

By Miguel Maravilla Undefeated welterweight Tewa Kiram (38-0, 28 KOs) of Thailand and lightweight contender Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta (31-1-2, 17 KOs) of San Diego held a media workout Thursday…
Read More »


Jorge Linares between dreams and feats for 2018

Great feats are preceded by big dreams and the life and dedication of the three times champion from Venezuela, Jorge Linares has allowed him to achieve his feats at the same time he keeps dreaming big, as confirmed today by his being established as one of the best in the world, pound by pound, which lets him dream of a fourth championship.

In spite of his great yearnings, only days shy of his time to go back on the ring to expose his lightweight championship of the World Boxing Association (WBA), this January 27 at the legendary Inglewood Forum, California, in a Golden Boy function, the “Niño” revealed that his only focus is on the Filipino Mercito Gesta. Continue reading “Jorge Linares between dreams and feats for 2018”

Great feats are preceded by big dreams and the life and dedication of the three times champion from Venezuela, Jorge Linares has allowed him to achieve his feats at the…
Read More »


Q&A Abner Mares

In a WBA interview, WBA featherweight champion Abner Mares (31-2-1, 15 KOs) revealed his plans for 2018, including the possibility of a rematch against the also triple world champion Leo Santa Cruz, as well as the chance of enrolling in a tournament with the best featherweights of the world and other great rivals.

Photo: Ryan Greene/Premier Boxing Champions

What are your plans for 2018, has the WBA ordered a rematch with Leo Santa Cruz?

I want to keep on defending my current championship with the WBA, and then grab that Super Champion title Leo Santa Cruz has. I have the regular title and I want to establish myself as a solid champion in this division. Continue reading “Q&A Abner Mares”

In a WBA interview, WBA featherweight champion Abner Mares (31-2-1, 15 KOs) revealed his plans for 2018, including the possibility of a rematch against the also triple world champion Leo…
Read More »


Barthelemy-Relikh poised for WBA title clash

Unbeaten two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy and former title challenger Kiryl Relikh will both look to kick off their new year with a world title victory when they meet in a rematch for a vacant 140-pound title Saturday, Feb. 10 live on SHOWTIME from the Alamodome in San Antonio in an event presented by Premier Boxing Champions.

The SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING telecast begins at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT and will be headlined by three-division world champion Mikey Garcia (37-0, 30 KOs) taking on unbeaten 140-pound world champion Sergey Lipinets (13-0, 10 KOs).

“Obviously the number one goal for 2018 is to bring home that belt on February 10,” said Barthelemy (26-0, 13 KOs). “Then I want to unify with all the other champions. My New Year’s resolution is to surround myself with good people and win multiple world titles.” Continue reading “Barthelemy-Relikh poised for WBA title clash”

Unbeaten two-division world champion Rances Barthelemy and former title challenger Kiryl Relikh will both look to kick off their new year with a world title victory when they meet in…
Read More »


Full Report: Taguchi Beats Melindo in unification

By Joe Koizumi
Photos by Naoki Fukuda

Lanky Japanese speedster Ryoichi Taguchi (27-2-2 12 KOs), 107.75, unified the WBA and IBF 108-pound belts when he displayed a late surge to pound out a unanimous decision over Filipino Milan Melindo (37-3, 13 KOs), 107.5, over twelve hard-fought rounds on Sunday in Tokyo, Japan. The official tallies were as follows—Gustavo Jarquin (Nicaragua) 116-112, Francis Jackson (US) and Ignacio Robles (Panama) both 117-111, all in favor of Taguchi. The referee was Mark Nelson (US) who handled the fast-paced unification bout very well.

The WBA ruler Taguchi had a tough time coping with the shorter but sharp IBF counterpart in earlier rounds, but the Japanese almost swept the second half by utilizing his advantageous height and reach. They often made head collisions to see Melindo bleeding from gashes over both eyebrows and Taguchi from a cut on the forehead. In later rounds Melindo was visibly fading and slowing down only to have Taguchi take the initiative to pile up important points down the stretch. Continue reading “Full Report: Taguchi Beats Melindo in unification”

By Joe Koizumi Photos by Naoki Fukuda Lanky Japanese speedster Ryoichi Taguchi (27-2-2 12 KOs), 107.75, unified the WBA and IBF 108-pound belts when he displayed a late surge to…
Read More »


WBA makes progress on champion reduction

The World Boxing Association (WBA) announced back in January 2016 that it would work on reducing the amount of champions in the 17 boxing categories and they have done so. 2017 started with 32 champions and ended with 25 monarchs in the 17 categories, although it is pertinent to note that when this plan started in the search for a sole monarch, there were 42 champions.

In addition, there are now nine categories that have only one champion, and if not, the title remains vacant and about to be disputed. In that spirit, the Championship Committee has worked tirelessly to make the resolutions honored. It has also given much needed mobility to several categories by ordering eliminators.

The World Boxing Association (WBA) announced back in January 2016 that it would work on reducing the amount of champions in the 17 boxing categories and they have done so.…
Read More »


Matsumoto challenges WBA 122lb champ Roman

Report, Photos by Joe Koizumi

Japanese prospect, WBA#13 Ryo Matsumoto (21-1, 19 KOs) will make an ambitious shot at the WBA 122-pound throne against newly crowned titlist Daniel Roman (23-2-1, 9 KOs), US, in Tokyo, Japan, on February 28. It was announced by Ohashi Promotions on Wednesday.

Roman will make his first defense since he captured the WBA belt by stopping Japan’s Shun Kubo this September. Roman looked very sharp and smart in lopsidedly dethroning Kubo with well-timed and accurate combinations, which won the great praise of the audience in Kyoto. Continue reading “Matsumoto challenges WBA 122lb champ Roman”

Report, Photos by Joe Koizumi Japanese prospect, WBA#13 Ryo Matsumoto (21-1, 19 KOs) will make an ambitious shot at the WBA 122-pound throne against newly crowned titlist Daniel Roman (23-2-1,…
Read More »


Roman to defend WBA superbantam belt in Japan

Danny Roman, the reigning WBA super bantamweight champion, makes the first defense of his recently acquired title against the #13 rated challenger Ryo Matsumoto on February 28 at the famed Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Japan. The 12-round world championship fight, dubbed “The Challenge,” is promoted by Thompson Boxing Promotions in association with Ohashi Promotions.

Roman (23-2-1, 9 KOs), who is based in Los Angeles, became the new WBA belt holder in September after dismantling Shun Kubo by ninth round stoppage in the latter’s home country of Japan. That Roman is traveling back to the island nation for his first world title defense – the site of his most impressive win to date – is of little concern for the aptly nick-named “Baby Face Assassin.” Continue reading “Roman to defend WBA superbantam belt in Japan”

Danny Roman, the reigning WBA super bantamweight champion, makes the first defense of his recently acquired title against the #13 rated challenger Ryo Matsumoto on February 28 at the famed…
Read More »


Torres wins WBA female 108lb title

Silvia “Guerrerita” Torres (18-0-1, 6 KOs) won the WBA female light flyweight title with a ten round unanimous decision over Brenda “Bonita” Flores (12-4-1, 2 KOs) on Saturday night at the Deportivo del Sindicato de Trabajadores del Metro in Mexico City. Torres won by scores of 99-91, 99-91 and 97-93. The bout had some historical significance because Silvia’s sister is longtime former WBC champion Ana Maria Torres.

Silvia “Guerrerita” Torres (18-0-1, 6 KOs) won the WBA female light flyweight title with a ten round unanimous decision over Brenda “Bonita” Flores (12-4-1, 2 KOs) on Saturday night at…
Read More »


Mendoza enters 3rd year as head of the WBA

Gilberto Jesús Mendoza is celebrating two years as the head of the World Boxing Association (WBA). He was unanimously elected, on December 14, 2015, at the WBA 94th Convention, which was held in Panama City. Mendoza, who has devoted much of his life to boxing, has vowed to reduce the number of champions per division that the WBA has, and emphasized that this change would not be made from one day to another.

In December 2015, the organization had 42 champions and it currently has 25 champions. Resolutions are constantly emitted from the Championships Committee to carry out mandatory fights in order to obtain one champion per division. Continue reading “Mendoza enters 3rd year as head of the WBA”

Gilberto Jesús Mendoza is celebrating two years as the head of the World Boxing Association (WBA). He was unanimously elected, on December 14, 2015, at the WBA 94th Convention, which…
Read More »


Lucas Matthysee set for Jan 27 return

By Miguel Maravilla

Former world champion Lucas “La Maquina” Matthysse (38-4, 35 KOs), of Chubut, Argentina, held a press conference on Tuesday afternoon at Malbec Argentinean Cuisine in Santa Monica, California to announce his upcoming fight against undefeated Thai superstar Tewa Kiram (38-0, 28 KOs) for the vacant WBA welterweight world title. Matthyse will square off against Kiram Saturday January 27th at at the “Fabulous” Forum in Inglewood, California live on HBO Boxing After Dark.

Lucas Matthysse: “We have started camp. Now I’m looking forward to finish this camp and get ready for this fight.” Continue reading “Lucas Matthysee set for Jan 27 return”

By Miguel Maravilla Former world champion Lucas “La Maquina” Matthysse (38-4, 35 KOs), of Chubut, Argentina, held a press conference on Tuesday afternoon at Malbec Argentinean Cuisine in Santa Monica,…
Read More »


All contents copyright 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 by Freitag Marketing Services, LLC.
The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.